30 October 2015

SCCM deployment with Error 1612

I was deploying a package earlier today. It took a few iterations to get everything correct. All of a sudden on the fourth update of the package, it would no longer install. It continuously failed. I thought maybe something was wrong with the installer that got downloaded to the machine, so I cleared out the cache. The issue persisted after SCCM re-downloaded the package. I then ran the install manually from the ccmcache folder where it was stored. Everything installed perfectly. I then deleted the application completely from SCCM and re-deployed it as a Package with the same issue. I was stumped at this point. All of my msi installations include a verbose log written to a specific directory on each machine. When I looked at the file, the first thing that was indicated in red was SOURCEMGMT: Failed to resolve source. I scrolled up and all of a sudden it popped out to me when I saw SOURCEMGMT: Trying source C:\windows\ccmcache\1t\emsProfiler\. That directory no longer existed. I knew this because I had manually run the installed from a different directory in the CCMCACHE. At this point, I thought that had to be stored in the registry and it was. It was located under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\{GUID}\SourceList.

I deleted HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\{GUID}, which included everything underneath it. I reran the installation and it installed correctly. 

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of troubleshooting broken java installations lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This helped me, thanks. Had similar issue. My problem SourceList reg entry was here:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{GUID}\SourceList

    I deleted the {GUID} folder as you mentioned, after backing up registry, and the application installed successfully in Software Center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni thank you, that helped me with my app deployment that was getting stuck.

    ReplyDelete