02 May 2012

Why I use ANSI values for certain characters in VBscripts

Posted By: Mick Pletcher - 9:37 PM

Share

& Comment

Some people think it is weird that I use the ANSI values in all of my VBScripts, but there is a good reason for it. There have been times when code that I have written needed to be debugged. The error was hard to find in the code, especially when it came down to a space. After several times of this, I changed to specifying spaces with their ANSI value so that it is easy to identify them.

I also extended the use of ANSI values to other characters such as the quotation mark, as such that when defining a string variable and a quotation mark is needed with the string, it is not possible to use a quotation mark because of the necessary ones at that beginning and end.

Another character I use ANSI for is the carriage return, as it is not possible to do otherwise. My suggestion is to always keep a printed ANSI table on your desk as a reference while coding. When you go back and debug code in such instances, you will be glad that you did this!

About Mick Pletcher

My blog is here to help solve issues I have encountered and solved, publish scripts I have written, and educate others in understanding areas that are not well covered

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2013 Mick's IT Blogs™ is a registered trademark.