To stop the iPad from continuously crashing and alleviate the slowness, you will need to disable some of the new features. Here is the list of features I disabled on my iPad 1 that solved the issue.
- Disabled Settings-->Location Services on quite a few of the apps that I really did not need it turned on for. Definitely leave the Find My iPad turned on
- Turned off the Settings-->General-->Multitasking Gestures
- Turned off all of the Settings-->iCloud except for the Find My iPad
- Under Settings-->Mail, Contacts, Calendars, I set Fetch New Data to Manually
- Turned off Settings-->Messages, as that takes up a good amount of memory
- Under Settings-->Photos, I turned off Photo Stream
- Under Settings-->Store, I turned off Music, Apps, and Books