21 May 2018

Fix for FAILURE (9705): Unable to find USMT file, cannot capture/restore user state

Recently, I upgraded to the new MDT 6.3.8450.1000. It was a fresh install of the new MDT product in which I created an entirely new MDT share for our Windows 10 build. I had done an upgrade to the other MDT share that contains the Windows 7 builds, and it busted all of them at which point I had to do a restore.

After creating the new task sequences, applications, drivers, OS, and packages, I went to capture my first Windows 10 image and got the error below.


The third line down was the key to the error. I went in and looked at the ZTIUserState.wsf and saw this line:
sScanStateFolder = oEnvironment.Item("DeployRoot") & "\Tools\" & sUSMTArchitecture & "\" & sUSMTVersion

I went to the MDT deployment share and under it to tools\x64\USMT5. There was nothing in that directory. I then looked at tools\x86\USMT5, and there was nothing there either. It was evident that this was the cause. To fix this, I needed to download the latest WADK, which also required uninstalling the current version first. Once it was downloaded, I checked off the User State Migration Tool (USMT) option. Once it completed, I copied over the USMT tool x86 and x64 from

  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\User State Migration Tool\x86
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\User State Migration Tool\amd64
to the following directories

  • %MDTDeploymentShare%\Tools\x86\USMT5
  • %MDTDeploymentShare%\Tools\x64\USMT5
Once I did this, the task sequence can now capture an image with no problems. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment