01 November 2018

Upgrading Microsoft Orchestrator from 2012 and 2016

It was time for us to upgrade the Microsoft Orchestrator to the newest 1801 version. We were three versions behind as we have been using 2012. Luckily starting with 1801, upgrades are performed via windows updates.

Microsoft provides a well-documented page on setting up Orchestrator located here. The problem with upgrading from Orchestrator 2012 and 2016 is the fact that you must uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version. The SQL server Orchestrator was connected to had not been documented in the beginning. We could find nothing in the console on what it was connected to. The registry was useless and the event viewer logs did not help. We started going through the Orchestrator logs located at %Programdata%\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\. Each subdirectory has a logs folder. We finally located the log that contained SQL server and instance Orchestrator was connecting to. The log is located at %ProgramData%\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\ManagementService.exe\Logs. You will likely have to go through each log in that directory to find the SQL server. The line will look like this:

  • <Param>App=<Instance>;Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=<SQLServer>\<Database>;Initial Catalog=Orchestrator;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist SecurityInfo=False;</Param>
Once we found the SQL server information, we were able to successfully upgrade the server to 1801 using the classical uninstall/reinstall, and then onto 1809 via windows updates. 

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment