21 January 2022

How to effectively add Office updates to the update folder

If you are still using an on-prem version of office, you know the need to populate the Updates folder so updates get applied when Office is installed instead of having to wait for the updates to download and then be installed. The issue I have run into is some of the updates, once extracted, are named the same. To resolve this, I extract each update from the cab file. Next, I open up the msp file using ORCA. In the MsiPatchMetadata table, you will find the KB number in the Release property. I use that number and rename the msp file to KB4011634.msp for instance. This prevents files from being overwritten. I then copy it back to the Updates folder. Office is able to read the MSP file with no problems. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment